Zensekai (zen's world under sail)

The sailing adventures of s/v Zen and crew

Sunday, June 11, 2006


Small can be good




I thought I was not going to get to do any boat stuff this weekend. I am in the middle of a big proposal project at the office. Over the last week I have not a had a full day off since Memorial day and 12 hr days since. Even last weekend when I took the ASA class I worked in the evenings. Sat night at the office til 12:00 a.m. yuk!, Sunday till 10:30pm,. Sucks but, better than no pay check, neh! Anyway I thought this weekend was shot as well. It turns out after I went to work on Sat morning (rode my bike and had a flat tire at the door). I hear,we have an extention for another week. Good news one way, but that means...most likely another lost weekend, as they get more time to make even more changes.
The good part I did get to go to the boat today. Nice weather!! fairwinds, sunny. It would have been good to sail, but I did some work at the dock. I installed some small cockpit speakers. On the last adventure I could barely hear the stereo unless I really blasted it. I found some small marine full range speakers on eBay. My cousin and her son came by, who is new to the area. They did some sanding the hard stuff that needed to be done my hand because the Dremal does not fit there. Saved me a lot of time. I can finish those sections on my next day off. Nice!

Sometimes small things are good!




And now for something completely different..


If anyone in Northern Cal reads this and you want to have some graphics done. DO NOT USE CALIFORNIA SIGNS in Concord. They had a boat cushion cover of mine for over a month and did nothing! They did the name for the boat sides while I waited, yet this just sat for 4 weeks, even after I had been in there checking on it after 2 wks, because I got no call! " oh , I did not do it, I'll call you", 1 week nothing, two weeks still nothing!! They care nothing about their word or customer service! Acted like it was my fault for bothering them with it. I am so pissed at them !! grrrrrrr. Not until I fussed and picked up my undone item did they even offer an applogy!!
Lady Zen says, pretty typical for here. Customer service for the most part in this country is horrible!
What do you think?

6 Comments:

  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger David Royall said…

    How do the new speakers sound?

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger Zen said…

    Pretty good for the size. I get the bass from the main speakers in the cabin these carry the tune. I think they will work best on Classical, Jazz, and new age stuff, that does not need a lot of bottom to sound good. I will give them a real test when I finish the hookup and give them a test run. I want to be able to switch them on and off, and not have them on all the time. I'll pickup some flip switches from the "Shack" and hopefully install them this coming weekend. Then take her away from the dock for a test. So not to bug the locals. I have a 40wt amp booster I can install if I need more push, they are rated at 60wt ea
    so I have some room

     
  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger David Royall said…

    It sounds like you will be well hooked-up. I am re-thinking my CD set-up on Shibumi. I am leaning toward changing it all to an MP3 player, maybe an iPod.

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Zen said…

    I hear good things about an ipod onboard from others. My CD player does play MP3 now, which I can record from my computer cable hookup which gives me several hours of music about 6 hrs per cd. Which is a lot of tunes. I can record on the computer, cable music, internet, or my own collection. If I want to go Ipod down the road I have a wireless tranmitter which will play ipod through my current CD player. Or I can record to DVD which holds more than twice that amount play on my laptop with a wireless though the boat system and watch DVD when we dock. sweet or what ?!

     
  • At 3:48 AM, Blogger David Royall said…

    The thing I like about an iPod or a generic MP3 player is that I won't have to carry a bunch of discs onboard. For our last trip, which lasted 3 months, we carried 16 CD's with us. An iPod would save a lot of space down below. One day technology should do the same for storing movies without carrying the DVD's.

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger Zen said…

    Yes, true on that , the ipod does make things simple, less stuff to deal with and bonce around. Once we get closer to our major cast off date I will most loikely go that route for our passage.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club
  • Join us on Yahoo groups
  • We can make a difference
  •