Zensekai (zen's world under sail)

The sailing adventures of s/v Zen and crew

Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Water Course Way



The water course way is another name for the way of Tao, it was coined by the late philosopher Alan Watts. Life has many paths and crossings, like streams and rivers making it's way to the sea or to put in street terms, Life is a Trip...

When I was younger one of my favorite series of books was by someone called Tuesday Lopsang Rampa. They were purported to be Rampa's autobiographical tale of his study and mastery of Tibetan Buddhism. He underwent many hardships and lessons in his life. I never took it for real however the thought behind it...I always was intrigued by the stories and the Philosophy that came with it. He was in the course of his waterway (Life path at least in these stories) to have much contact with the spiritual leader of Tibet, the Dali Lama ...


Back when I was beginning to put all this trip together about going to Japan, toying with the birth of this journey. I thought...hmmmm I can study some ceramics there, teach some Kung Fu, do some sailing around the islands, perhaps study some Zen teachings...

Later when doing some research on sailing to Japan I came across stories on a couple of Japanese sailors who had made the trip from Japan to S.F. and beyond. I read some of their stories and was impressed...

A one point I wanted to find a Japanese book for my wife so she could read about sailing basics and I could pickup some Japanese terms. I did not have much luck , well really none...

Later on this watercourse I came across a Gentleman in Japan who knew one of these famous Japanese sailors. It also turns out he is there near where we are planning to move. I also find out later he is a Zen master and lecturer. Talk about things that make you go hmmmmmmmm...

After a while of doing this blog I write a piece about Zen, Sailing, Taichi and the Tao or something near that. It inspired me to write this Zen master and introduce myself. I figured why not, he is a sailor, I would like to meet him on my next trip to Japan and speak of Sailing and Zen. He was receptive and responded, even said he would look at my article and respond if he thought it was called for. He never did so I guess he thought I was on the right track or full of it :-) ...

Time passes...

I progress with my sailing studies and seek another teacher to move to another level. I come across a lady, who started the program where I had my basics, but she moved on to start and run her own school. I contacted her about training and testing. After a few discussions, she surprises me with the statement she not only knew the Zen Sailor but taught him as well. He was responsible for having the ASA Standards manual done in Japanese...


Times passes...
I complete my ASA teaching basic level. I figure hmmmm I should really teach the Lady Zen, I can having her challenge the ASA Basic Keel Boat to get certified as well. She will know what she is doing and can help when I get some students who speak Japanese, Like her Brother-in-Law and any other friends. Mostly she will be able to know what to do and be helpful when sailing and not feel so helpless, if something happens. I remember there is something in Japanese print by the Sailing Zen master ...

I contact him again, hoping he will remember me and I'm not being bother ( eg: pain in the butt). I ask about a lead to a book, he remembers me and informs me he has 2 available via Amazon.com. I mention about speaking with his teacher and the Universes way of having paths cross...

He replies likewise and adds the meanings show up later.
He also mentions he had just spent 3 days with the Dali Lama & found him also a great Taoist...

Life is a trip.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi !!
    I like your photos ^_^
    Can you help me to find some Japanese friends? Sorry for asking that so fast, but it's been a common habit of me since I'm searching for a japanese friend -_-'
    It's the hardest thing ever to find a Japanese. I'm Bangladeshi and I have a little knowledge in jap language but I'm very very interested in it and the jap culture.
    Can you PLEASE give me your Yahoo! or Hotmail ID or e-mail address because I wanna contact you by e-mail or Yahoo IM.

    (Onegai! Cosider my situation because you are the 3rd person I have found who is so much interested in Japan! I have tried yahoo 360 of Japan already but I couldn't made it cuz I can't read all the latters T_T)

    U can send me e-mail in this add: theld_girl@yahoo.com
    or: theld_girl@hotmail.com
    Thanks again.
    (For more info please visit: http://lookingforjapanese.blogspot.com/ )

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger EVK4 said…

    The above comment is the greatest comment in the history of blogdom. Zen, my man, you have a very inspiring readership.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thnx Zensekai San for the comment on my blog ^_^
    Atleast you care...I'll try visiting your site. U are a lucky guy knowing so much bout Japan!

    And thnx evk4 for considering my comment as the 'greatest comment'.lol
    Odaiji ni everyone ^^

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Keep it up, Zen. Good reading.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger A.V. Michaels said…

    I know what you mean...so many blogs, so little time! I see you are linked to Andy's Tao of Photography blog, he's incredible. Nice to meet you, will put you on my list!

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You seem to be traveling in the universal pattern that proves there are no coincidences.

    This was another magnificently crafted post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club
  • Join us on Yahoo groups
  • We can make a difference
  •