Zensekai (zen's world under sail)

The sailing adventures of s/v Zen and crew

Monday, September 04, 2006

People are like dock lines


I did not go sailing this weekend. I had a foggy sort of plan to do so, but, I did not make it. I did misc stuff, which I may or may not post later, part of it had to do with the band


which is on the other blog for those remotly interested.





Some ceramic work.





So what does this have to do with the title... nothing just some filler because I had some pictures.


So anyway, I went to the marina on Monday, nice to have a long weekend... even more time to not get a lot done. But, you know sometimes that is a good thing...
but I digress...

I went to the marina. I had went down on Sunday. I did some hull de-yuking and took a couple of shots I was not happy with of my new SailJapan Burgee.
Direct from Japan which I was the second winner for going to the next level up on the Sail-Japan board. Yup Thats right the first and possibly only one in the US of A. Right here in Martinez, CA. Number 3 is in Australia. No. 1 is in Japan, but I believe it is lost to the world. This is one of the new photos. You have to see it up close to really see how cool it is. Oh, I lost my carp! grrr. Not unexpected. the string was too light for the steady winds there. No biggie I'll get another and restring it.

meanwhile back to the story...

So I head to the marina, I figure I'll do a few chores, check in with the office, take some pictures around the dock with my 300 mm lens, which I do not use that often.



I organized the cockpit locker, had lunch, checked in to the office to pay my slip fee. Ended up listening to this motor Yacht owner bitch about the overnight cost at Jack London square which was $75.00 for his 40 some ft Motoryacht. Steep for someone being on Social Security. Yup I felt him on that, Since I'm planning mine down the road but still planning. One of those things to think about, the world is not getting cheaper...


But again I digress... if you have not noticed I like saying that, it sounds very literary...

again...yup I digress. :-)



So afterward I grab the camera and start walking about and taking misc shots. I stop by Kuan Yin, my old boat. I redo her clanging halyard, readjust her fenders, and re-secure one of the dock lines that had broken. The current owner, a friend of mine does not get down too often. So whilst redoing the dock line, I notice the boat in the next slip has his lines chained like mine. Hmm So I take a picture just for the heck of it, then some others as well, I figure I'll make a pictures study of dock lines and just fiddle with some camera setting. Whilst in the mist of this I get a Zen moment...

People are like dock lines... They come is all sizes, colors, and layouts...

Some are kind of weird but
nice, they have their own way of living...














Some just work but just do not care...













Some try to style but fall apart...










Some can not figure out what to do in the end...
















some just lay round under foot...













Some are all mixed up...















Some are neat yet colorful...












Some like to mix with others not their type...















Some are too
uptight...













Some are just regular...















Some are a mess...













Some can not figureout which way to go...














Some are very together...perhaps too anal











Some mix it up with anyone...both of which are slobs













Some just barely hang on...















Some just hang loose...










Some are not quite right, and the friends they hang with are crap!

5 Comments:

  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Tillerman said…

    Superb. What a hoot. I too walk along docks looking at the lines and have often pondered why only about 2% of sailors know how to tie a cleat hitch properly.

    My own contribution to the sailing world has been to teach all the kids in my sailing classes over the last few years how to tie a cleat hitch. Look forward to seeing more conformist dock lines in about twenty years!

     
  • At 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    liked the knot shots..

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey you guys make music too? Awesome...

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Val said…

    Wonderful, those images and mental images of the people who go with them.Did you know that bell ringers use a marlin spike too?!

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger David Royall said…

    That is a superb analogy.

    It is surprising how many people don't realize that they may have to release dock-lines in a hurry.

    I can look at my docklines and recall what I was thinking when I last secured the boat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club
  • Join us on Yahoo groups
  • We can make a difference
  •