Zensekai (zen's world under sail)

The sailing adventures of s/v Zen and crew

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Zen and the Environment

1st off let me be clear. When I make my various statements about Zen and whatever. I am 99% of the time talking about Zen the Philosophy, Zen the Mind set, Zen the state of being, Zen coming from a Taoist eye not Zen the religion. I am not Buddhist and know only crumbs of that world. I am not a pure Taoist ether, but I do more understand it's basic philosophy. So with Zen I am speaking of the we are the world/Universe view point, we are part of all that is. We are, should be one with the Universe mind. We are we not a sperate being that operates outside the laws of the Universe. Unlike GW Bush who ... well never mind that is another subject.
Part of my enjoyment about sailing is the senseo f oneness with the Universe, that group spiritualness that happens when you are in the "zone" Feeling the wind, water and yourself as one unit. To me that is only a part of that "mind" and it carries over into other areas, like being aware of and respecting the environment and wastefullness, respect for our limited resources and others who follow. I was reminded today by example that just because, sailing enhances my sense of environmental awareness, it is not the same with other sailors.

I'll finish this rant later, it is getting late. I just wanted to ge this down while it was fresh in my head.

to be con't

3 Comments:

  • At 7:18 AM, Blogger Tillerman said…

    Well said - please write more on this theme.

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger EVK4 said…

    nice tease....

    I had a friend toss an apple core over the side a few weeks ago. We both knew it was biodegradable, but i've just spent so many years hoarding trash to bring back to the docks that it shocked me. My eyes must have betrayed me because he got defensive very quickly.

    I'll fess up to one over-the-side sin though. I routinely throw pretzels overboard as a speed comparison. I've calibrated to the point I can tell our SOW to within a knot with the pretzel test. This all started when becalmed in the middle of the Atlantic and an orange peel had better SOW than our boat for 6 hours. Sad day for a mariner.

    On another note, I'm looking forward to the day I get to a comment section faster than tillerman.

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger David Royall said…

    As you speak of Zen, I can feel the beat.

    I was once told by a great man, "Music in the soul shall be heard by the universe".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club
  • Join us on Yahoo groups
  • We can make a difference
  •